Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Irish and the magazine kids

One day at the Travelodge a family from Ireland decided they wanted to stay at the hotel for awhile. It must have been an extended family because they took up quite a few rooms. It was just getting warm out so the men had found construction jobs leaving their wives and kids at the hotel.
After a couple weeks we started hearing stuff from our maintenance guy that the Irish girls were prostitutes. This guy tended to exaggerate and well, straight up lie, so we kind of blew it off. But he swore up and down that they kept calling him to their room to fix things and while he was in there they would sit in a provocative manner and would not be wearing underwear. I'm thinking he is just trying to get a reaction out of us and then one day I come into work and my boss is just sitting at the desk just shaking his head.

"What's that look for?" I asked.

Rameez goes, "I had to tell one of the girls to put a shirt on this morning."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, one of the girls apparently thought this was a nudist colony and was walking around topless, no bra or anything. I only found out when one of the guests asked me what kind of hotel we're running."

"What the...? What did she say when you told her to put on a shirt?"

"She was shocked! She acted like there was nothing unusual at all about being topless and walking around outside."

Welcome to America! You're so free you don't even have to wear clothes!

So that was one day at the Travelodge. Not too long later we got another big group that wanted to stay for about 2 weeks. Of course, we like that kind of business, steady revenue.

We dealt with a couple people who seemed like they were responsible adults and were there on business. Then we saw the kids check in.

There were 50 kids between the ages of 16 & 18 piling into our rooms. Every phone call was, "I need an extra pillow and blanket." I'm guessing they put like 6 kids to a room to save money.
We asked what kind of business it was. They told us they were selling magazines. I guess they recruit kids with like no future or something and travel around the country selling...something.

One day I drove into work and there were ambulances and police cars everywhere. I mentioned before all our parking was underneath the two buildings and then one of the buildings had the office, laundry, and breakfast/swingers club room. I saw all the emergency vehicles and quickly ran to the office to see what was going on. The office was locked so I found Rameez with one of the police officers and he threw me the keys with a look like 'I'll tell you later.'

A bit later he walks into the office just laughing his head off.

"What happened?" I ask anxiously.

"One of the magazine people fell into the courtyard from the third floor. He was drunk and trying to walk along the railing and slipped."

"I knew one of those kids were going to do something stupid!" I say.

He goes, "No. It wasn't one of the kids. It was their boss. And he's fine. He was so drunk he didn't even feel it."

I just sighed. At least he had his clothes on.

No comments: