Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I'll show you professional

Let's fast forward to present day...

I have worked in an urban boutiqe type of hotel for nearly five years. It's not really that much different than the Travelodge except it's owned by an actual hotel company, there's a lounge, a few more employees, a higher class of celebs, but that's pretty much the difference. I don't care how much money a person spends for a room, when they check in they tend to leave their brains on the sidewalk out front.

Every single day I hear someone who has stumbled in our lobby wonder out loud, "Am I in a hotel?" It's odd to me, that a person can walk into a building and not know where they are. Maybe the city is overwhelming, maybe they are drunk, I don't know, but I stopped speculating on that years ago.

So we got a new management company several months ago and they are trying make us more classy or something. Every year AAA has awarded us 4 diamonds, so it's not like we sucked before. Our old company let us have an actual personality. The new company doesn't even want us to talk to each other, which should make for some interesting times. I love staring at the wall. Absolutely can't wait for our new office where I can just stare into space waiting for perhaps one guest an hour because it's January and we're dead!

I certainly am going to have to be careful about blogging.

Anyway, I have worked at 4 different hotels and I am dying to share stories about each place. It's hard to know where to start so I'll probably go back and forth from the past and the present with maybe a little of my friends' stories thrown in.

Let me just close with this, since our new managment took over, they have hired and fired 2 different executive managers (because they sucked ass!), were about to be sued for copyright infringement, and have driven away half of employees that have been here for 2 or more years. We used to have the least turnover I ever heard of so you know its bad when they lose employees that have been here since it opened.

Til the next post!

No comments: