Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My First DB

OK. I wasn't there. I haven't actually seen a dead body besides at a funeral. There is nothing funny about it. I am not relating the story for amusement but for the sheer fact that it is something that happens.

I was working at Travelodge. I was out of town this particular weekend, and my roommate was nice enough to work a double to cover for me.

Since there was always wacky people staying with us, I gave a call on my drive home that Sunday to ask how the weekend went.

Me: Any crazy shit happen this weekend?

Roommate: Actually...well...I checked in this guy last night.

Me: What's wrong? You sound weird. (My roommate was one of those people that was never shocked.)

R: I checked this guy in to 313. He, uh, Gus had to call an ambulance last night. (Gus was our overnight manager with diabetes who ate too much chocolate, and we were afraid he was going to lose a foot any day.)

Me: Gus went to the hospital? (My first thought is: Poor, roomie. He must have gotten called in to work or something.)

R: Noooo. He had to call 911 for room 313. Apparently the guy called down and asked him to call an ambulance because he was bleeding.

I mentioned in a previous post that my boss was a doctor waiting to start his residency.

Me: Well, what happened? Is he OK?

R: Gus called Rameez after he called 911, and Rameez came right away. When Rameez went to check out the room...it was covered in blood.

Me: Like how much? (I'd never heard my roommate sound so freaked out.)

R: Like the entire room. Floor to ceiling. There was a broken coffee pot in the sink. Rameez says he thinks the guy tried commit suicide with the broken glass and may have lost about 80% of his blood.

Me: (Silent)

I am stunned. I'm like 20 years old and barely even able to understand the concept of death really. When I get back to work the next day my roommate and Rameez are cleaning "the room." (This is a small hotel and the housekeeping sucks, asking them to clean blood would be like asking them to sing showtunes or something.)

I finally see Rameez and he's wearing one of those surgical type masks. He looks tired.

Me: So...he lost a lot of blood?

Rameez: There was a lot of broken glass in the room from the coffee pot it seems. (He gets quiet.) I don't think he could have lived.

Room 313 was out of order for 2 months.

No comments: